I am a native in this world And think in it as a native thinks
Monday, April 13, 2015
In which I do not tour the Bosphorus
Instead I hung out in a cafe with these guys.
Because I'm staying in Asia, the tour company I'd booked with wouldn't do the usual hotel pickup. Instead, they told me to meet the group at the Yasmak Sultan Hotel at 1:15.
I got there about fifteen minutes early and stood in front of the hotel, and waited. And waited. And waited. Lots of vans and buses drove by, and a few of them stopped but none of them were from my tour company. But Istanbul traffic is horrendous, and I figured they were running late. The hotel isn't that large and there was a limited amount of sidewalk in front, so I knew I couldn't miss them.
At 1:45, I asked the concierge inside if he knew anything about this tour company. He had never heard of them, but looked up the number and called them for me. They kept him on hold for at least 15 minutes then finally said they'd call back. When they did, they put me on the phone with the man I'd spoken with that morning to confirm the tour. He said the driver couldn't find me and he was very very sorry but the group was already on the boat.
I suspected that “the driver couldn't find you” was Turkish for “I forgot to tell him to pick you up,” but I was so overwhelmed by the kindness of the hotel staff that I shrugged it off. I wasn't even a guest there, and I basically wandered in off the street speaking only English (I usually try to learn a little of the language anywhere I go, but I've been trying to convince my brain to retain basic phrases in Farsi, and couldn't manage to learn more than Hello and Thank you in Turkish at the same time) and they spent more than half an hour trying to help me. Next time I'm in Istanbul, I will definitely stay there. If I had children I would name them Yasmak and Sultan.
I spent an hour or so drinking tea, and talking with the other customers -- a couple from Hamburg, two guys from Libya hoping to start a business in Istanbul -- then took a commuter ferry back to Asia, where I convinced another non-English speaking cab driver who had never heard of the hotel Sumahan to take me there.
- ► 2017 (429)
- ► 2016 (393)
- Final encounter
- Khaju Bridge
- More random things
- Random things I saw in Isfahan
- Back to reality
- One more
- Two squinches
- Let there be light
- A ceiling
- Jameh Mosque
- The altar
- Armenian church
- Last day
- The Bridges of Isfahan County
- Okay, but this is a little creepy
- Where does paisley come from?
- Abstract scaffolding
- Prayer rugs
- Color coordination
- A little of both
- This is the conundrum
- A few more carpets
- How to buy a Persian carpet
- Magic carpets
- In which I elect not to take the stairs
- Artists at work
- Peacock tail
- You say you want a revolution
- Another kind of ruin
- A few more
- More views chez Darius
- What's for dinner
- Palace of Darius
- A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun
- A word about the food
- Encounters in the Eram Garden
- The squinchiest squinch if ever a squinch there wa...
- Pink Mosque
- Playing dress up
- Random things I saw in Shiraz
- Let's see what Hafez has to say about that
- Of course not everyone is a fan
- One big cultural difference
- Splish splash
- Still, not everyone wants to have their picture ta...
- A misunderstanding
- It was apparently Bring Your Baby to Naqsh-e Rosta...
- Mystery cube
- Location, location, location
- Sad stories of the death of kings
- More ruins
- Rest stop
- Inside the temple
- The Fire Temple of Taft, continued
- Indiana Jones and the Fire Temple of Taft
- I hear you knockin'
- Around the towers
- Towers of Silence
- What a difference a T makes
- Fire Temple
- It's not a caravanserai, but...
- In which I'm grateful not to be Marco Polo
- The courtyard
- The road to Yazd
- More of the mosque
- Sunday bird blogging
- Starbucks comes to Tehran
- Finally, something I don't like
- For example
- A hodgepodge of the rare and precious
- Urban poetry
- My Iranian fan club continues to grow
- Also from Persepolis
- Centuries of priceless treasure
- ▼ April (142)
- ► 2014 (396)
- ► 2013 (410)
- ► 2012 (409)
- ► 2011 (226)
- ► 2010 (165)
- ► 2009 (51)